How to choose your memory foam pillow?
Finding the best memory foam pillow
Choose the best memory foam pillow that suits your needs out of all the brands of memory foam pillows available, seems like a Herculean task. However, if you want absolute comfort when lying in your bed and don't want to wake up with a stiff neck or, worse yet, lower back pain, then you need to put in the time, effort and energy to find the best pillow.
A memory foam pillow is one of the most popular types of pillows on the market today. It's a pillow that has good density, provides good height and support for the neck, spine, and shoulders, and is affordable. In addition, it lasts for several years and easily adapts to the desired height.
Best memory foam pillow
Before we start, let's take a look at the benefits and reasons for buying a memory foam pillow.
Benefits of memory foam pillows
- Prevents pain in your neck: The dense material of a memory foam prevents your neck from bending in awkward directions. This is why they are very useful when traveling.
- Keeps your spine aligned: As the memory foam pillow prevents your neck from bending, it keeps your spine in good alignment.
- Fit the shape of your head: Memory foam pillows conform to the shape of your head, just like a memory foam mattress molds to your body.
- Available in a variety of shapes: Memory foam pillows come in a wide variety of shapes, which is convenient because the type of pillow needed will vary depending on your sleeping position.
- Original form retained: Memory foam does not require adjustment like a regular pillow because it retains its shape and size.
- Reduces snoring: Regular pillows tilt the head upward, causing the nostrils to close. However, memory foam pillows hug the contour of your neck, allowing your nostrils to stay open.
Memory foam pillow
Why a memory foam pillow?
- The quality and comfort it provides is a hit with many people with back, neck and shoulder pain.
- It changes shape in response to body heat, making it one of the most comfortable pillows around.
- It conforms to the shape of the head for ultimate comfort.
- It is neither too firm nor too soft which makes it ideal for someone with back / neck / shoulder pain.
Which shape memory pillow to choose?
The best brands offer a variety of shapes and styles. You need to choose the one that best suits your needs, as each type serves a different purpose. Here's a how-to guide to the world of the best memory foam pillows.
The first thing to do is find out what type of sleeper you are.
There are three types:
- Back sleeper: memory foam pillows are particularly suitable for this type of sleeper. These people should prefer a pillow that is stiffness and height at the average neck level. The ergonomically shaped pillows are perfect in this case.
- Side sleeper: here, we will favor a higher height and greater rigidity in order to maintain the head and neck optimally. The memory foam pillows classics are great for those sleepers.
- Belly sleeper: This is where it gets complicated ! Ideally, this way of sleeping should be avoided because the cervical vertebrae are in their position of maximum extension and rotation. This produces and accentuates pain in the neck but also in the lower back and abdomen. That being said, we will privilege in this case a low height pillow and a foam that is as soft as possible.
Then comes the choice among the different types of memory foam pillow.
Traditional memory foam pillow
It is the most popular among all types of memory foam pillows. These are rectangular pillows of relatively low height, custom cut and one piece. Depending on the type of edge they have - single stitched edge or double stitched edge - they provide neck, spine, and shoulder support.
Ergonomic shape memory pillow
This is a foam piece that has a subtle groove and two bends that run horizontally from side to side. The head rests supported in the groove, while the curvatures support the neck. People with neck pain prefer ergonomic pillows with shape memory. These are the pillows that provide the best support for the head and neck while sleeping. There are versions with a refreshing gel to avoid heat and perspiration.
Shredded memory foam pillow
These pillows are often oblong in shape and similar to traditional memory foam pillows. The height is not too low, not too high, just medium, making it one of the best memory foam pillows for different sleeping positions. They contain tiny pieces of shredded foam inside that are compacted together to form the filling of these pillows, hence the name. Not only does the shredded foam inside allow the air to breathe, but it also keeps it cool and airy, not making it a heat trap. The best part about shredded memory foam pillows is that it not only gives you the benefit of a traditional memory foam pillow but also takes care of the cons like not being hard on your neck and keeping you cool all night.
Specific memory foam pillows
These are pillows of various triangular, curved, rounded shapes that are most often used to support various parts of the body for different purposes. Their sizes vary depending on their uses. Note that triangular shaped memory pillows are not breathable, making them a heat trap. However, this very nature may be beneficial for people with breathing problems, sinusitis, or acid reflux.
These are all of the best memory foam cushion options available on the market today. It's up to you to make your choice using all the information in this article. You will find many memory foam pillows and cushions on cervi-care.com, but also a collection of neck pillows for people with neck pain. Browse our collections and products to find the one that suits you best!
And if you enjoyed this article, leave a comment and share it!